7/24/2012

The "It Gets Better" Campaign

I would like to encourage everyone reading this blog to visit It Gets Better The "It Gets Better" Campaign was started in response to the increasing number of suicides by young people who have been victims of bullying.

While the original campaign targets GLBT youth, I think it is an important message for ANYONE who is being bullied for ANY reason. As a child, I was bullied for being disabled, liking the "wrong" music, having a crush on the "wrong" guy. As a high schooler, I was bullied for all those reasons, for being an Ally, and for having an AIDS ribbon on my backpack. I remember times when I felt like ending my own life because I just wanted the constant taunting to end.

If you were bullied as a young person, I would like to encourage you to create a "It Gets Better" video and post it to Facebook or YouTube. If you were a bully as a young person, and you have changed, make a video talking about why bullying is wrong and how/why/when you finally realized that and changed. Be as personal or vague as you want.

If you make a video, please find a way to include the URL for our Facebook Page AND It Gets Better Campaign even if it's just a piece of paper held up for ten seconds at the end. Then, if you have "liked" us on Facebook, please send us a message about your video, including a link to where we can view it.

No comments:

Post a Comment